Probiotics are your good bacteria and they are found in large amounts in our intestinal tracts. Imbalances between good and bad bacteria can lead to constipation, gas, bloating, and diarrhea. 70% of our immune system is found in our intestinal tracts and unevenness here can lead to auto immune diseases like lupus, Hashimoto’s, rheumatoid arthritis, and more.
Why should a pregnant woman take probiotics?
- Digestive Health: Pregnancy hormones can sometimes lead to digestive issues like constipation and bloating. In fact as many as 40% of pregnant women will experience constipation at some time during her pregnancy. Probiotics can help regulate the gut microbiota, promoting smoother digestion and regular bowel movements.
- Immune Support: A well-balanced gut microbiota is linked to a stronger immune system. During pregnancy, when the immune system undergoes changes, probiotics may help support overall immune function for both the mother and the developing baby. Studies have shown that supplementing with probiotics can prevent upper respiratory infections like the cold and the flu in both adults and children.
- Prevention of Yeast Infections: Probiotics, especially strains of Lactobacillus, can help maintain a healthy balance of vaginal flora. This can potentially reduce the risk of yeast infections, which are more common during pregnancy.
- Prevention of Allergies and Eczema: Emerging research indicates that maternal probiotic consumption during pregnancy may be associated with a decreased risk of allergies and eczema in the baby, especially in babies that may have a family history of allergies and eczema.
- Optimal Nutrient Absorption: A healthy gut microbiota can aid in the absorption of nutrients, ensuring that both the mother and the developing baby receive the necessary vitamins and minerals.
Healthy intestinal bacteria are just as important to infants as to adults. Modern living may inhibit gut flora balance post birth. Thus the acquisition of a beneficial flora potential in the newborn can be significantly enhanced if the mother also takes a probiotic during pregnancy. Additionally, probiotics will help support the intestinal function of the mother during the pregnancy period.
HLC maternity is a high quality probiotic that provides 10 Billion CFU Per Capsule: HLC Maternity provides 4 different strains of good bacteria and is suitable for pregnancy.
Pregnant women should always consult their healthcare provider before starting any new supplement, including probiotics, to ensure that they are safe and appropriate for their individual health situation. If considering probiotics during pregnancy, it’s also advisable to choose products from reputable brands and follow the recommended dosage guidelines.